Gone are the days when we could just waltz out the front door barefoot in flip flops, carrying nothing but your sunnies and sunblock. For Canadians, winter has officially made its annual debut! Winter can be an exciting time to whip out the Christmas decorations and enjoy fun winter activities. For others, it means more preparation to get out the front door. Despite the extra effort, winter is still a great time to plan a road trip and avoid being cooped up all winter. Cozy up in Niagara Falls, Canada and plan a weekend trip with the family, to enjoy all the fantastic events happening only during the winter like the Winter Festival of Lights.
Before you leave, be sure to pack these winter road trip essentials:
- Check your car’s engine oil, battery, headlights before you leave. Get a tune up, if necessary. Ensure that your windshield wipers are working.
- Fill up on gas. It’s best to keep at least half a tank of gas.
- Be prepared and stock your car with an ice scraper, snow brush, jumper cables, and windshield wiper fluid for those super slushy drives!
- Pack an emergency kit: warming blankets, flashlight, first aid kit, a shovel, and some sand. What’s the sand for? In case your tires get stuck in a pile of snow you can shovel away some snow and put sand behind your tires, which will cause friction against the tire and allow your tire to dislodge itself from the snow.
- A phone charger.
- Extra socks, shoes, gloves, hat and a change of warm clothes.
- Check road conditions and the weather ahead of time. Plan your route. If the weather is reporting icy road conditions, plan an alternate time to start your drive. Planning ahead will also give you enough time to rearrange reservation times of needed.
- Pack snacks and drinks in case there are no planned stops.
- Create a playlist for the drive to stay entertained; try a new audiobook or podcast.
- Book your hotel reservations in advance. It’s positive reassurance to know you have a warm cozy place to stay and unwind once you arrive.
The Holiday Inn by the Falls is one of the best-located hotels in Niagara Falls, where you can get deals on packages that include discounts on attractions and dining. Whether you’re visiting with your significant other for a romantic weekend getaway, or you’re with the whole family, you’ll find the Holiday Inn is very accommodating for all your preferences and needs. We’re located in the heart of Niagara’s entertainment district, just steps away from places to eat and tons of activities to do.
The Holiday Inn is just a 3-minute walk from the Fallsview Casino and only minutes more away from the Falls! Learn more about current packages and promotions and book your stay today.